Buying FAQ

When should I arrange my mortgage?

Most mortgage lenders will be able to provide you with a mortgage in principle. This provisionally lets you know how much you can borrow, subject to finding a suitable property in a specified time.
This can be arranged direct with a mortgage lender or via a financial adviser. We can put you in touch with independent mortgage brokers who we use regularly. Having proof of finance at an early stage shows you are serious about a purchase.

What information will you need from me if I make an offer?

We will need to determine your position and at the same time substantiate your offer e.g. if you are first time buyer or if you are selling, and the full details of agent and related sale if applicable, proof of deposit if obtaining a mortgage, and either a copy of your agreement in principle or, if you have yet to arrange a mortgage, then to be qualified by one our recommended brokers. Cash buyers will be asked for proof of funds.

When should I instruct my solicitor?

You will have to provide your solicitor’s details when the offer is agreed. We can advise on experienced and well known solicitors who have worked with us.

Will you take the property off the market if my offer is accepted?

The property will be taken off to allow you time to organise a survey and instruct a solicitor. A time frame is normally agreed when an offer is accepted and then included in correspondence. If the vendor wants the property to remain on the market then we will let you know.

What are sealed bids?

The sealed bids approach is when there is more than one person interested in buying a property. We use this method to give all potential buyers a fair chance to make their best offer. Parimeters such as a date and time for the receipt of a sealed bid is set for all parties interested. Maximum bids are received via email before offers are discussed with the vendor. The winning bid is usually the one with the best price and the ability to proceed quickly. This is why it is vital you have a mortgage in principle in place.

How quickly can contracts be exchanged?

There is no real timeframe as it depends on many things, but 4 -12 weeks is generally typical. Through our meticulous pre-emptive planning process we will discuss this with you, and through our regular updates keep you up date with what is happening. But, instructing your solicitor and mortgage provider early makes a big difference. We also specialise in attended exchanges. Call us for more details.

Is there a difference between an exchange and completion?

For an exchange of contracts to happen you will be required to have your mortgage offer or cash funds available, deposited with your solicitor and have all conveyancing completed. Exchange of contracts makes the deal legally binding and a completion date is then agreed. The completion date is the date you take possession of the property and all the purchase money is transferred to the other side.

What is Stamp Duty?

You have to pay Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) when you buy a property in the UK over a certain price. You can calculate SDLT here.

£0 – £125,000: 0%
£125,001 – £250,000: 2%
£250,001 – £925,000: 5%
£925,001 – £1.5 million: 10%
Over £1.5 million: 12%

What is a Leasehold?

A way of owning a property, usually a flat, for a fixed term but not the land on which it stands. Possession of the property will be subject to the payment of an annual ground rent. When the lease expires, ownership of the property reverts back to the freeholder.

What is a Freehold?

This complete ownership of the property and land on which it stands. A freehold estate in land is where the owner of the land has no time limit to his period of ownership.

Selling FAQ

How much will it cost to sell my property?

Our fees vary depending on the type of property, the market condition, and your timescales. Please pop in or call us for more details. You will need to bear in mind the cost of:

  • an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) (this is a legal requirement) which needs to be in place before we can market your property.
  • Our commission, which is paid to us once the property is sold and contracts are signed. The charge for this is a percentage of the sale price.
  • Legal fees for conveyancing – fees vary from solicitor to solicitor.
How will my property be advertised?

We use well known online portals, our stunning website, local and national press, our network of partners, and our live social media channels to market properties. 

How should I present my property?

You should do away with any clutter and if the property needs a touch of paint in some areas, then this will certainly make a difference and catch the eye of any potential buyers.

When should I instruct my solicitor?

It is advisable to do this as soon as you place your property on the market.  This gives them enough time to work on all the relevant paperwork before an offer is received.

How are viewings carried out?

We accompany on all viewings.  If we have your keys and any entry codes then there is no need for you to be at the property. Experience tells us that buyers are more at ease when the owner is not around.

What happens after a viewing?

We will provide you with regular feedback a couple of times a week whether there is a viewing or not.  This also allows you ask any questions which you may have.

How do you know a potential buyer is serious?

We would qualify the buyer. They would be asked to show evidence of a deposit and/or proof of cash along with a copy of their mortgage agreement in principle at the point of making an offer. If they cannot provide this evidence they will be required to be qualified by one of our recommended brokers. Through our meticulous pre emptive planning process we make sure all potential buyers are qualified before the offer stage.

How quickly can contracts be exchanged?

There is no real timeframe as it depends on many things, but 4 -12 weeks is generally typical. Through our pre-emptive planning process we will discuss this with the buyer and through our regular updates keep you up date with what is happening. We also specialise in attended exchanges. Call us for more details.

When do I pay your fees?

At the exchange of contracts stage you are bound to pay our fees, and they are due once completion has taken place. If we don’t sell your property, then there is no fee.  Our fee structure is simple and transparent.

Renting FAQ

What references will I have to organise?

This will be depend on the type of let. For a longer let you need details of your previous landlord, bank, employee and/or character references. For a short let you will be asked to produce proof of address and a form of photo ID such as your passport, driving licence of national ID card.

Is an inventory and check in required?

Yes as this protects your deposit at the end of a tenancy.

How much deposit is required?

One week refundable deposit to secure the property.

Five weeks deposit will be taken and held within a deposit scheme.

What payment methods do you accept?

We accept transfers BACS transfers only.

Who is responsible for contacting the utility companies after I move in?

It is your responsibility as the tenant to set up accounts with the utility companies when you move into the property and close accounts when you leave. You must provide meter readings at the beginning and end of the tenancy.

Lettings FAQ

What are your fees for letting a property?

We have three structured fee levels. Please click here (Letting Fees) for more details. If you have any further questions, give us a call on 0203 422 2333 or email us at,

Who will conduct viewings and will I need to be present?

We will accompany all clients to viewings and there is no need for you to be present as long as we have a set of keys and any relevant access codes.

How much deposit is taken and how is it held?

We hold five weeks deposit and register deposits with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. The Tenancy Deposit Scheme is there to protect the tenant’s money and help to resolve any disputes at the end of the tenancy.

Why do I need an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a report which details the energy efficiency of a property, giving a rating from A (being most efficient) to G (being least efficient). This is valid for 10 years and all landlords are required to have an EPC for a property before it can be let.

What are my requirements for Gas and Electricity?

A Gas Safety Record (GSR) needs to be in place to ensure that all gas appliances and related infrastructure is in safe working order. Checks need to be done every 12 months and by a registered engineer. It is a requirement that all electrical devices in the property are safe to use. Checks need to be done every 12 months and by a registered electrician.

How will I receive my rental income?

We will organise for the tenant to pay the rent into our client account and we will then transfer the money to your account minus our commission and any fees.

What if the tenant damages the property?

Reasonable wear and tear should be allowed.  However if there is damage to the property then the tenant will have to pay or it is deducted at the end of the tenancy form the deposit.

Can't find the answer to your question?

Get in touch Contact us